Saturday, October 4, 2014

Homemade Pink Applesauce


The key to pink applesauce is in the skins...The redder the skin, the pinker the applesauce.I never peel my apples, it seems such a waste of great vitamins, and COLOR!


I use my vintage Osterizer blender that is comparable to a Vitamix, but a fraction of the cost. Mine was 8 bucks at the thrift shop, and you can still get replacement new blades. Trust me this thing will grind up a broom handle if you so want it to...lol


Apples, cored and quartered (skins on) enough to fill your kettle , or about 5 lbs.
Enough water to just cover your apples, I used 7 cups of water for 5 lbs of apples
You may add sugar to taste, I do not .
2 tsp. Sea Salt {I use Pink Himalayan variety}
1 Tablespoon orange zest {optional} 

I brought the apples and water to a boil in a large stock pot. I reduced the heat to medium and let the apples cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Using a ladle, I scooped the apples into the blender. You can use any setting you like, I pureed mine because the baby will be eating it. That is it EASY PEASY! 

Now you can serve it the way it is , refrigerate in a airtight container for up to a week, can it, or freeze it !