Friday, November 23, 2012

CANNING TURKEY

I know many people like to freeze meat, but nothing in my mind, compares to it being canned. It flavors (marinades)  it over time and protects it in case of power outages. Then you will have many quick meals!
Now, I can just open a jar of turkey and have turkey salad, turkey and dumplings, turkey soup, or turkey casserole in just a few minutes.





  • My 23 pound bird made 15 pints. I always brine my bird the night before in 1 cup Kosher salt in 1 gallon water. This is optional, but does really plump it up with enhanced flavor.

Ever had beer can chicken? You gotta try it with turkey!!!!

I like the Hot pack-method you can  roast, grill or bake meat until about two-thirds done.


  1. Set your grill to medium/high.
  2. Add some hickory chips for flavor (optional)
  3. Place the bird on the grill breast side up. 
  4. Punch some holes in the side of a can of beer, or other beverage, slide it in the bird sideways . The beer can inside keeps the  breast meat incredibly moist and juicy. 
  5. Cook for 75-90, checking occasionally for any flare ups.

*I like to put the white meat in first on the bottom of each jar, with some dark meat on top.This keeps the dryer white meat nice and moist.




  • I sterilize  my jars and get my lids and rings together.
  • I deboned and skinned the turkey
  • Simmer bones, giblets and seasoning in a pot of hot water with 2 T.  vinegar
  • Packed the turkey into the jars
  • Pack the turkey down 
  • fill jars with broth leaving 1 inch headspace
  • take air pockets out by sliding a knife around outside 
  • Wipe the rims of jars with clean cloth.
  • Seal the jars with lids and rings
  • Be sure you tighten rings so they are finger tight.




                       Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!